Friday, July 24, 2009

Here's the break down

I've had a few people ask more details of cloth diapering. Here is what I am using and approximately what it cost. Not trying to push cloth diapering on anyone. I probably wouldn't bother if it wasn't such a good way to save money during tight times. Wish I would have done it with Tanner though; we have been on a tight budget since he was born too.

Thirsties Duo Wraps: 6 @ $11.50 a wrap.





24 cotton prefold diapers (the kind that most people use for burp cloths): $2 a diaper.
You fold them in thirds and lay them in wrap. The yellow things is a fleece liner.


Fleece liners (to wick away moisture and make poo clean up easier): 26 for $1.80 made from those end of the bolt pieces of fabric that they sell at fabric stores. You can also get biodegradable paper liners to catch the poo. Those you can take out and flush down the toilet. I want to try those sometime. About $8 or so for a roll of 100.

Snappis (alternative to a diaper pin): 4 for $10. Not totally necessary, but thought I might use them sometimes to fold differently.









Wet Bags: To hold dirty diapers in. One to hang on bathroom door, one for diaper bag $27. It is either these or a pail, can cost more or less depending on how cute you want them.

Terry Cloth wipes
: when we get back to Idaho I will use these with a spray bottle of a cleaning solution. I will buy a 1/2 yard at fabric store and zigzag edges. $3


Total start up cost: Approximately $160
for this option. Can be much more or a little less. Pretty much the only way to be cheaper would be to use diaper pins, a garbage bag, and old fashioned plastic pants like my mom used. No thanks. Those look so uncomfortable.




Cost to diaper one kid for 2-3 years in disposables: $1,500-$2,250


Ok so there are the energy bills, but at our apartment in Pocatello, utilities are included in our rent! Ok, and there is detergent, but you use only about a tablespoon of detergent to wash them. And you wash them about 2-3 times a week. Two times per load.

Here are 2 of the many sites I looked at to get information. They also sell everything you would need.
http://nickisdiapers.com
http://www.kellyscloset.com