Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I made granola!

This was my first time making granola, and I don't think I will ever buy again. It was so easy and I usually have everything I need on hand. You can alter the recipe so easily too. I added pecans and cranberries. Some other things that I think would be good are using some maple syrup instead of honey, and using different seeds and nuts. You could cut the amount of oil in this one and still be ok.

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup raisins/dried cranberries

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, combine oats and coconut; set aside. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, oil, honey and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat. Spread in a large shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool. Add raisins/cranberries. Store in an airtight container.