Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Some tips, if you are interested

After my last post, some have asked some questions. So, I thought I'd list a few things that helped me lose weight. First, my weight loss has been very slow and steady. In 5 years I have lost 35 pounds, with 2 pregnancies in there to throw things off a little. Anyway, here are the things I've done that have helped.
  • I never "dieted", but made gradual--very gradual-- lifestyle changes. I tried cold turkey to quit sugar and eat totally "healthy", but I never could stick to it. Moderation is how I live.
  • I try to eat dessert only on the weekends. Doesn't always happen. My sweet tooth has been my biggest challenge. If I could just cut the sugar a little more I would lose the rest of the weight fast, I just know it.
  • I got a food scale (just a cheap $5 one) to get a better idea of portions. I was really surprised what real portions are.
  • Replace most things with fat free or low fat versions. When it doesn't compromise the flavor much. I refuse to eat gross food just because it is healthy.
  • I Chew sugar free gum when I feel like snacking.
  • On and off I have counted calories, or Weight Watchers points. Just to see where I am at.
  • I exercise consistently. 5-6 days a week. For 30-90 minutes. That is mostly speed walking. I threw in the Jillian Michael's video when I hit a plateau. Seems like that shook my metabolism or something and helped me lose a few more. I recommend it. It is intense, quick, and doesn't get old (at least it hasn't yet).
  • Not sure if this actually helps much or not, but watching Biggest Loser is pretty inspiring and motivating too.
Do you have any tips for me? What have you done?